Thursday, April 8, 2010

Keeping up appearances

Another classic show :



Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) is a British housewife who is constantly frustrated in her attempts to ascend the ladder of the English social classes. If you've never seen it before, now's the time to check it out. It looks like most of the series is available on Youtube.

I find it especially funny because it takes me back to when I was growing up. I saw many ladies of the Bouquet variety in the church, the one seemingly more desperate than the other in her attempts to outdo. My mom usually put them in their place very quickly, but I think even she would have fallen down behind the garden wall if she saw Hyacinth coming!

4 comments:

  1. LOL! I love this show! Onslo is my favourite! I love the one with the cruise and also the golfing one, it's awesome! "Oh poor Daddy. you know I would have him here if it wasn't for the drooling..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. just in your church? I had one for a gran!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ou ma het die hele reeks op DVD… dit bly fekking snaaks, veral omdat 'n mens weet dat hulle elke week dieselfde gags herhaal (soos die hond wat elke keer vir Hyacinth blaf as sy by Onslow-hulle kuier, en die die neurotiese buurvrou wat altyd op haar senuwees is as Hyacinth kom kuier)… Ek wonder dat as Hyacinth 'n wannabe opstuurse Suid-Afrikaanse tannie was sou sy seker gesĂȘ het dat haar van 'Boukwet' is! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fav Hyacinth quote:
    "If there's one thing I can't stand it's snobbism. People who pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are."

    ReplyDelete